Saturday, March 16, 2013

Scrabble at Sea

We usually post about the places we visit, but here's a little bit about how we spend our time on the ship. On days at sea, we often sit in the Sanctuary, or if it's too cool there, in one of the lounges (Wheelhouse is a particular favorite of mine) and play Scrabble. This time my mother and I both forgot to bring the travel Scrabble board, so we stopped at a Barnes & Noble in Fort Lauderdale to pick one up - it's an essential item for one of our trips! So far we've probably played 7 or 8 games, sometimes a couple games in a row. In our last match, my mother started her turns with a "bingo" (Scrabble jargon for using all 7 letters at once), playing "FAVORITE" off my first word for an extra 50 points. Our games are quite competitive; we used to argue about words a lot until we started bringing an iPad with a dictionary on it.

Here's a photo of my mother playing a word during one of our games in the Sanctuary, which is a very relaxing and comfortable place to play.


2 comments:

ScrivenerB said...

Is that the same travel version as we have?

I always thought a magnetic board would be better than the snap-in one, but I've never seen one and can't understand why Hasbro doesn't make one. (Mattel does, but it's only sold overseas, where they have the rights to the game.)

2 letter scrabble words said...

I’ve always enjoyed the game Scrabble. The game requires a mixture of vocabulary, strategy, pattern-recognition and luck.