Monday, March 11, 2013

Princess Cays


Today we visited Princess Cays on the Bahamian island of Eleuthera, the cruise line's private beach. While my mother stayed on the ship and relaxed, I went ashore via tender to spend a little time at the beach. As the tender pulls into the inlet at Princess Cays, you know that your tropical vacation has truly begun. The weather was sunny and warm, but not hot, and pleasantly breezy, and the palm tree-covered beach was just perfect. I brought my snorkeling gear ashore with me and took a slow swim around the reef (after making sure that the backs of my legs & back were thoroughly slathered with sunblock). The water where snorkelers enter was cloudy from the sand being kicked up, but once I got further down the shoreline, it was a peaceful swim over a pretty reef. Tropical fish in yellows and blues nibbled and schooled among waving coral fronds.


After my swim, it was time for lunch at the barbecue buffet. One nice thing about Princess Cays is that everything works just like on the ship - food is included, and incidentals like beverages can be purchased on your cruise card. The grill buffet was really quite tasty, and I had a beef hot dog charred just how I like it, along with some salads and sides. Beyond the watersports, there's not a lot to do in Princess Cays unless you want to sunbathe, so at that point I just headed back to the ship. Today was a relaxing introduction to the Caribbean, and tomorrow we're looking forward to a leisurely day at sea.

No comments: